Monday, March 06, 2006

Knitting Olympics Hang-over

The Olympics are over and it's been about three weeks since I finished my Knitting Olympic project. The Yarn Harlot posed a good question on her blog, asking what you learned over the 16 days and if there were any after-effects.

I noticed last Sunday that there were a couple of things going on. First, I really didn't want to work on a project that previously I was excited to get started on; Viking Costumes for my nephews. They consist of a viking hat and a jerkin type thing. I decided that everything should be done in twos instead of completing one and then starting the other. I'd lose interest too fast and they would never get done. But doing two of everything also has it's downfalls. I can't say "Ok, part 3 is done." I still have my second part 3 to complete.

Maybe I'm being a little rough on myself. It's not that bad. They are kid sized hats so they're not that big. The horns that will be attached to the helmet can't be that big so even tho I have to make 4 of them, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

What I think is going on is that I was so excited about starting my KO project and so thrilled with the result, that I need something that will equal the excitement of knitting that. I need to make something that is all for me - and not just socks (which I have a pair going right now and will more than likely cast on another tonight).

A quick word about knitting socks... I learned how to knit socks about 4 months ago and I've made 5 pair since. The last three pair have been made in the last month. A pair takes about a week so it's kind of instant gratification. Today at lunch I turned the heel on a sock and picked up stitches for the gussett/instep. Then it's just 4 short inches or so till I get to the toe.

I have all the yarn for a sweater that I've been eyeing for a while. It may be time for me to start in on it. It will be a challange because I'll have to alter the pattern to include short rows in the bust area to insure the front and back of the sweater will fall at the same place at my hips. I've never altered a pattern before, so this is a first and will be a challange. I'm the type of person who wants to just pick up the pattern and knit the darn thing. No fudging the measurments or recalculating.

With that in mind I found this cardigan on Knitty. I think I'll use the yarn I got for the sweater mentioned above for this. So I'll swatch at some point in the next couple of weeks and see if its a
viable soultion.


But I'm not excited about any of it. It's all just "eh". Although I would rather be knitting than doing anything else (like work. heh) Maybe it was the challange.

No comments: