Thursday, March 23, 2006

New Job!

I finally got my offer letter on Tuesday afternoon via e-mail, and yesterday via express shipping. Every thing we talked about and I was expecting was in there. I love it when that happens. I accepted the offer (naturally) and then I tried to give my notice.

That's right - I tried. The following is a prime example of why I needed to find something else.

Early last year, the Executive Admin Assistants were shifted around so that they reported to the most senior person they supported. We all reported to someone different, and they a were all Executive VPs. The guy I reported to resigned at the end of last year. No one ever told me who I was reporting to in the interim.

As the month of January went on, I discovered that the most senior person I was supporting at that time was the one who was approving my time sheets (I work in a company that bills clients for EVERYTHING - so I have to report my time). I sort of decided that since he was approving my time, he was the one that I'd call out sick to or ask to approve vacation time, until they hired a new EVP. It's been like this since January.

I get my offer letter and write up a brief letter of resignation and take the original over to my "boss". After the string of curses and "Oh No"s and "You're killing me"s he said he wasn't the one who I would give the letter to. We had a whole discussion about who exactly I would give the letter to. I said that I had a copy for HR, but that since I didn't work for HR, I didn't think I'd resign to them. All they needed to know was that I had resigned. His position was that since he wasn't my boss he shouldn't accept the letter. He had a point.

So I went to HR, and naturally they were all gone for the day (at 3PM - Sheesh!). So I sent an e-mail to the two HR people who work in my building asking who I reported to. No reply.
The next morning I went into the HR person's office and gave her my letter and told her that the guy I thought I reported to had a copy of the letter. She said that I DID in fact report to him. Then she said very matter of fact-ly "I guess we never told him you reported to him."


Huh? WTF?!?

Don't you think that's a little bit of a problem? You have someone reporting to a manager and neither of them knows it?

I can't get out of here soon enough.

No comments: