Wednesday, October 04, 2006

SOCKTOBER!!!!

I'm just nutty enough to be totally excited by finding out that October is Socktober month. I love October. Probably because it's my birth month. It has always signified the beginning of the holiday season for me. One holiday right after another month by month until February.


So I joined in all the fun. There isn't anything to do but knit socks. I've always had a pair of socks on the go since I learned how to make them. Anyway - here is a little questionnaire so you can get a feel of my sock knitting history and preferences...

· When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I learned how to make socks last November in a class at my LYS. This was the first knitting class I ever took. The class was small, only 5 people which gave us all the personal attention we needed from the instructor. The instructor was wonderful. He was very patient and easily adapted to the varying skill levels of his students. He brought cookies he baked himself and bottles of water. We also go the most beautiful hand crafted cases for our darning needles. I'd take a class with him again any time.

· What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
We made a pair of "Cozy Socks" with Lambs Pride on size 10 needles. He taught us on two circulars and I knit my first few pair on circs. He had knit a sock from scraps, showing each part of the sock - ribbing and leg, heel flap, turn of the heel, gussets, foot, and toe. It was so helpful to see each part. And since they were to be felted, he left the teaching sock un-felted so we could see each section clearly.

They are VERY warm and have held up the last year beautifully, even if they are a little big.

· What would you have done differently?
I would have felted them a little bit more on the first go round. But that is easily fixed.

· What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
Opal, Regia, Trecking XXL and Claudia Handpaint are some of the yarns I tried first. Recently I've knit a pair with Koigu and I am VERY happy with the end result. Very thick and sturdy. I'm a Koigu convert. I did just start another pair of socks with Shaeffer Anne and it knits up beautifully. I've never had a pair of socks that has mohair in them so I'm sure they'll be very warm and perfect for cold days.

· Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I learned with 2 circs and that was my method of choice for a long time. Then I decided that I really should learn how to use DPNs and so I taught myself how to work with them. I pretty much just use DPNs now.

· Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
I like a short row heel. I love the magic of how all of a sudden there’s a turn there that's perfect for your heel. I knit like a fiend till I get to turn the heel. It's my favorite part of the sock.

· How many pairs have you made?
I'm counting in my head and I think it's 11 pair.
The 12th pair are on the needles right now.

No comments: