Sunday, July 30, 2006

Excitement 'round here (with photos!)

Look what I did on Friday!

That's right - I hung out with my nephews and made "woogles". They even let me have some of the ones they made. The new woogle colony lives on top on my monitor.

Every year there is a hot air balloon festival at a local airport. If the wind is just right the balloons lift off and fly over my place. This hasn't happened in 3 or 4 years. The start of the festival was Friday night and I didn't think the balloons would lift off because we had a nasty storm from about 3 - 5 in the afternoon and drizzle after that. It did clear up enough for them to have their fireworks. I don't live close enough to see the fireworks from the airport, but I did hear them and the sky was lighting up over the rooftops.

The balloons also lift off every morning during the festival, so I got up early, made coffee and was out on my deck yesterday by 7:15 AM waiting for them to appear over the rooftops...

Maybe they went the other way. So I puttered around my place and then went outside and knitted and listened to podcasts for a good portion of the afternoon.

Between 6:30 and 7 PM I kept looking out to see if the balloons were going to lift off. It's been really humid here and not ideal ballooning weather. Then I saw one pop up and go back down again. Then another one. Then there was one right behind that house there so I ran to get my camera.

If flew over my place...

Before I knew it...

This balloon always cracks me up. I had to share...

Ummm - it doesn't look like this one is going to make it too far...

Yeah - it didn't. Two of the balloons landed on across the street.

Most of them landed in the field and school yard about 100 yards to the right of this photo. If the balloons come this way, they usually try and make it to another small airfield that is about 2 miles further away and they drift past my brother and sister-in-law's place. They sure didn't make it that far this year.

No comments: